Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Real Person

So, a full year has passed since I became a "real person" in the eyes of many. What's happened since then? Well, this blog for one. I must say, that I kind of impressed myself with how I've handled this year. It was full of a lot of challenges and a lot of learning how I respond to situations. I think most importantly, I learned that I am able to respond to situations well. The first few weeks of the job, I could definitely feel why experience as a Resident Assistant is desired. It wasn't long before I became very accustomed to what I was doing and had a beat on situations if I needed to go. The ring tone made, and still makes, me tweak out a little bit, but whatever. I also made some great connections this year. Coworkers being the highlight of these. They were always available if I needed help, a question answered, a good laugh, a youtube video, etc. It's strange to think that I'll be thrust into that role next year with only a year of professional experience under my belt.

Honest and true, I think I've found at least an area of the country that I could settle down in. If the culture of Moscow is any indication of the NW, I think I'll be quite content here. Again strange, anyone who knows me from outside this year would never have pegged me to end up in Idaho. Mostly because it's a red state. Rest assured, my end game does not lie in Idaho. However, I don't think I can fully express what a good start it's given me.

The year brought no romance and I'm still 100% OK with that. Like I've said for a while now, if I stumble upon it or it finds me, I'm not going to turn it down. I just am not concerned with finding any of it. I'm only 23 years old and still very much finding my lot and place in this world (now there was a blue comment for you). Erstwhile, many of my friends have found it and are taking large steps in their lives. I don't think I was previously mature enough to understand those friends as couples, but I do now. And very truly, all my love and support goes to them.

To that end, two of my friends were married last November. Another two are now engaged as of this spring. I'll make mention of two more getting married this coming October, although neither the marriage or engagement happened in my post graduation year.

I don't know whether to be proud or weirded out, but the BLC has found it's impact in this year with their mission and motto. I've actually used my zoology background in my work at UI. One was to defend the existence of homosexuality as evolutionarily advantageous. The other in a conduct meeting. It really is true: learning is everywhere.

Sadly, I'm running out of reasons to get back to Madison. There are still a few great reasons to go, but it's become harder and harder to justify popping for a plane ticket or even the tank of gas to go from MSP to Madtown.

I also ended up getting myself inked. You can see it in previous posts. I was very glad to have gotten it. It's already faded just a tad, but that was somewhat expected just due to placement and how often I go pantless. I wouldn't not get another one, I would just need a very concrete idea in mind.

This summer, I look forward to getting to Seattle for Father's Day. It should be a good time. I also look forward to getting home for a spell if I'm able to. If anything, the cats should provide decent entertainment. The high school reunion is coming up, but I don't think timing or desire will line up for me to go.

All in all, a good year and looking forward to more.

No comments: