Tuesday, April 22, 2008

3 Weekends, 2 of them fun

Oh yes, it's true. There are 3 weeks to go to wrap up my first academic year at UI. Suffice it to say, it's been a learning year. Lots of ups and downs. So, this weekend, I'll be taking my opportunity to hang out with Lindsey as those chances will soon run out. I'll just kind of chill with her at the Apartment and Family Housing yard sale. I don't think I actually have anything to sell, but that's not the reason I'm going. I've been so thankful for the collegial relationship as well as friendship we formed over the last year. After that, I'm going to a concert with Sam and his older brother. It should be a very good time. Then on Sunday, we have the Res Life dessert banquet. I've still got to write my speech. I've got to keep it light hearted enough that I don't get teary. Yes, I've known these people for less than 9 months. I get attached to people very quickly and this year has been no different.

The weekend after this coming one, my brother comes to visit! He'll be here Thursday through Sunday and I can't wait to see him. It's been almost half a year since I saw him (Thanksgiving). I'm hoping to get some good things planned for when he's out here. Farmer's market starts that weekend, Ren Fair is that weekend, he wants to go to the winery, I hope to show him the grizzly bears. The point is, I get to reconnect in person with someone who I've fairly recently grown into an adult sibling relationship. Two words: can't wait.

The last weekend is closing weekend. I'm excited because it's closing and it means the year is done. I'm less excited because it's closing and that means lots of busy work. I'm also less than excited because it means that I don't really know when I'll see Kami and Mikey again.

I've recently come to feel a little bit devalued by the department I work for. To make a long story short and so as not to divulge a lot of detail, without the intention being so, I got a major slap in the face combined with a low blow. I'm getting over it slowly, but it still didn't feel great in the moment.

In other news, my staff for next year met. Without actually intending it to be so, most of them stuck around just to chat for over an hour. I like where that is going. I will need a period of adjustment to figure out where the boundaries are. It will automatically be harder because there are more of them. Still, I think with more people, it gives them that much more potential to be great. They can't take the place of Westers...I'm going to try my damnedest to make sure East for next year has a separate place in my head and heart. All in all, next year has the potential to be a great year.

That's pretty much it for now. I could probably say more, but I don't think it's really necessary nor would it really have validity for a lot of people. Ta ta for now!

Less than three!

1 comment:

loverstreet said...

less than three you!